ADVANCED GENERAL SURGERY WORKSHOP
SPONSOR: Earthwide Surgical Foundation and the Nigerian Christian Hospital.
OBJECTIVE: The workshop will focus on techniques for managing complex and advanced general surgery problems-concentrating on Head and Neck Surgery and Oncology. Advanced techniques for complex hernia repairs will also be addressed.
Each surgical participant will learn
1. Head and neck examination
2. Indications for biopsy in neck masses
3. Anatomy of the recurrent laryngeal nerve
4. Anatomy of the facial nerve
5. Techniques of skin closure
6. Techniques of suturing and knot tying
7. Basics of oncology/chemotherapy
9. Techniques of abdominal surgery epecially concerning surgical staplers
10. Techniques of radical neck dissection, total thyroidectomy, mastectomy, parotidectomy, skin grafting, hysterectomy, hernia repair, skin cancer, maxillectomy, mandibulectomy, splenectomy, GI surgery, cholecystectomy
11. Management of toxic goiter
12. Management of drains
TIME/LOCATION: September 22-October 15, 2013 at the Nigerian Christian Hospital, Mile 11 Ikot Ekpene Rd, Aba, Abia State
PROCTOR: The Lead Proctor will be Brian Camazine, MD, a Harvard University trained General/Thoracic Surgeon. Dr. Camazine is President/Founder of Earthwide Surgical Foundation, a non-profit organization dedicated to the surgical care of the poor of the world. He has over 25 years experience in humanitarian work in Nigeria.
COST: Training, room and board will be free