9/23/2011

MORE LIPS


"The two most powerful warriors are patience and time“ - Leo Tolstoy

SEPURUCHI

Sepuruchi was a wild banshee from the moment I saw her February, 2011. She didn’t want to have anything to do with examinations, surgery or me.  She had a benign hemangioma of the lip (a collection of blood vessels) that was growing.

At first, I considered doing some fancy surgery such as an Abbe-Estlander Lip switch in which a portion of the upper lip is transferred to the lower lip. But then I remembered KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid). I decided to just excise the lesion, and, if the results were unsatisfactory,  return for a more complicated surgery.

I did the operation and, in the week following surgery, it looked worse every day!  I fretted about it day and night. Finally, I told the Mom we would see how it looked on the next trip. When she returned July, 2011, my dreams were fulfilled. The result wasn’t perfect but it was pretty good and Mom was happy. Sepuruchi still wasn’t, however.